I blogged about Violife vegan cheese a couple of years ago and, at the time, I was kind of, ‘Well, Violife’s okay, I suppose, but nothing special’. Since then, I’ve changed my mind and, while I’m not saying it’s the best thing I’ve ever eaten, it’s definitely the best vegan cheese I’ve ever eaten.
Today I used some in a toasted vegan cheese and chorizo sandwich. As you can see in the above photo, Violife melts beautifully and it went really well with the vegan chorizo I made from The Gentle Chef‘s new book – Seitan and Beyond.
This chorizo is fab; juicy, spicy, delicious, easy to make and contains easy-to-find ingredients (the only ingredients you’re probably not going to find in the supermarket – at least not here in the UK – are vital wheat gluten and liquid smoke, but these are easy enough and cheap enough to buy online). I can’t share the recipe with you as The Gentle Chef doesn’t allow his recipes to be shared but if you love your mock meat products I recommend you buy Seitan and Beyond, either as a pdf (with photos) from his website, or as a hard copy (without photos) from Amazon.
I know you don’t need a recipe for how to make a sandwich, but here it is anyway.
- 2 slices of bread
- Violife cheese, sliced from the block
- 3 slices of vegan chorizo
- A few leaves of baby spinach
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Vegan salad cream (Asda's own brand light salad cream is vegan)
- Dairy-free spread (I used Pure)
- Spread the bread with the dairy-free spread
- Add the spinach leaves on to one of the slices of bread
- Add the Violife
- Add the chorizo
- Add the sliced tomato
- Squeeze the salad cream on
- Top with the remaining slice of bread
- Grill in a George Foreman grill or sandwich toaster for about 10 minutes