This morning, I opened the freezer to get some frozen fruit to make myself a nice healthy smoothie. Then I saw the crumpets… but – get me and my steely resolve – I resisted them, telling myself I’d have the crumpets for lunch instead.
I don’t know what happened but, instead of toasting the crumpets at lunchtime, I made some spinach and tomato soup. Not really the same thing, is it? Ho hum.
I made this vegan soup in my soup maker but if you’re going to make it on the hob, then fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes, add the rest of the ingredients, simmer for 20 minutes or so, then blend.
You can use any stock you like but I made my own ‘instant chicken’less bouillon powder’ from the recipe on the Gentle Chef website.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 150g potato, chopped
- 3 large handfuls of spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml stock
- salt and pepper to season
- Chilli flakes and cumin seeds to taste
- Add everything to the soup maker, cook for about 20 minutes, then blend.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary.