Looking for a protein packed curry? Here’s one I made in the slow cooker. With almonds and cashews, I thought as well as being mega-healthy, it would be mega-calorific, but after logging the ingredients into myfitnesspal, it’s only 329 calories per portion, so not bad at all. The best bit is the taste though – it’s by far the nicest curry I’ve made for a long time.
It does take a bit of cooking before it goes into the slow cooker but, believe me, it’s worth it.
Red bean, cashew and spinach curry (serves 4)
Taken from Slow Cooking for Vegetarians
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
2 green chillies, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
425g can of red kidney beans, drained
50g ground almonds
75g unsalted cashew nuts
2 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- Preheat the slow cooker on High.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened but not browned.
- Add the spices, root ginger, chillies, and garlic and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, almonds, cashew nuts and 300ml water and bring just to the boil. Transfer to the slow cooker and stir gently.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours until the ingredients are tender.
- When you are ready to serve, add the spinach and stir until just wilted, then serve immediately.