I know I said the other day that I didn’t really like cake but yesterday, after my friend Emma mentioned on Facebook that she’d made one in her slow cooker, I decided to give it a go too.
I used her recipe that she got from here, who got it from here.
The Meat Eater liked it. I, however, didn’t like it at all – it tasted chemically and the aftertaste lingered for hours. This may be because I didn’t have any baking soda and doubled the amount of baking powder instead. Or maybe it was because I don’t really like cake. Emma said that everyone she knows who likes chocolate loves this cake, so it’s probably worth your while giving it a go.
Slow cooker chocolate cake
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla until well combined. Whisk in the boiling water. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared slow cooker.
Set cooker to "Low". Cook until cake has no wet spots on top and has pulled away from the sides of the slow cooker, about 3-4 hours.
Turn off slow cooker and allow cake to rest for 30 minutes before serving.