I always think stuffing vegetables sounds like it’s going to be fiddly and time-consuming. It’s not though, at least not the way I do it which mostly involves bunging the stuffing on top of whatever it is I’m stuffing. Like this aubergine stuffed with mushrooms, for example. Dead easy.
Mushroom stuffed aubergine (serves 2)
1 onion, chopped
125g mushrooms, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
50g cheese, grated
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and black pepper
- Cut the aubergine in half lengthways and score with a knife. Brush with a little olive oil and bake in the oven at 200C for about 30 minutes. Scoop out the aubergine flesh and chop.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, aubergine flesh and garlic to the onion and fry for another 5 minutes then season with salt and pepper.
- Pile the mushroom, aubergine and onion mixture on top of the aubergine skins and sprinkle the breadcrumbs and grated cheese on top.
- Return to the oven for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden.