I admit these cookies look more like rock cakes but, thankfully (for me, at least), they don’t taste like them. I wondered at the time if they’d flatten in the oven but I suppose because they’re mostly made of oats and not just a batter, then they wouldn’t (you can see I’m not much of a baker, can’t you?) Next time, I’ll give them a bit of a squish, or make them in a tray.
These were made in SECONDS. Okay, so that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it took just fifteen minutes from getting the ingredients out of the cupboard to getting a freshly baked cookie into my mouth.
Oatmeal Cookies (makes 20)
Taken from Food for Fitness by Anita Bean
4 tbsp margarine or butter
75g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
150g porridge oats
75g white flour
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
1. Mix together the margarine or butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until just combined. You should have a fairly stiff mixture.
4. Place spoonfuls onto a lightly-oiled baking sheet.
5. Bake at 180C/gas mark 4 for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Per serving (1 cookies)
Energy: 91 kcal