Twitter was all of aflutter about Pancake Day today and I didn’t want to be left out. Knowing The Meat Eater doesn’t like pancakes, I texted him and asked if he wanted to share half a big pancake, or make his own dinner. This was my subtle way of reminding him that he had to make his own dinner tonight and should get himself something from the supermarket on his way home from work.
My plan was scuppered though when he texted back that he’d try a pancake, dammit! I don’t know whether he really wanted to try a pancake, or he just couldn’t be bothered to cook for himself.
So that meant that I had to share my pancake. Just as well really, as I was totally full after eating my half, along with a few jacket wedges.
Mushroom and halloumi pancake (serves 2)
1/4 pint milk
60g plain flour
1 portabella mushroom, sliced thickly
Large handful of chard, chopped
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1/2 pack of halloumi, sliced
50g Cheddar, grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Turn the grill on to heat up.
- Fry the mushrooms in a little oil until almost cooked, add the chard and when it starts to wilt, add the garlic. Cook for a couple more minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to one side.
- Mix together the flour and the milk, then slowly beat in the egg to make a smooth batter.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large frying pan and add the batter, cooking until brown underneath.
- To the top of the pancake, add the mushroom and chard mixture, then add the halloumi and red pepper, then top with the grated cheese.
- Transfer the frying pan to the grill and heat through until the cheese is golden and bubbling.