Jus-Rol sent me a recipe book last week. On flicking through it, a few recipes looked inviting (they’re all accompanied by colour photos) and this recipe for Cheesy Pea Faces looked especially fun (it’s actually called Kids’ Cheesy Pea Faces but – at 44 – I can’t really call myself a kid these days).
I carefully arranged the peas to make the little faces, giving them different expressions and eyebrows and took a photo before they went into the oven.
It’s just as well I took a ‘before’ photo because, well, I’ll let you see for yourselves.
Yep, they came out looking more like ‘cheesy-pea-punched-in-the-faces’. I can only think it was the mega-strong fan in the oven or I didn’t pinch the edges hard enough to make a big enough brim to keep the cheese mixture in or maybe I should have pressed the peas further down.
Still, they tasted nice, honest.
Cheesy Pea Faces (serves 2)
1 x 320g pack Jus-Rol Puff Pastry Sheet
4 tbsp crème fraiche
50g cheddar cheese, grated
30g vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese, grated (Tesco Everyday Hard Cheese is vegetarian)
salt and pepper
100g frozen petit pois, cooked and drained
- Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7 and grease a baking sheet.
- Lay the pastry out on a work surface. Cut out circles using a mug or cookie cutter (I used a large cookie cutter and made four circles).
- In a bowl, mix the crème fraiche and the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place equal amounts of the cheese mixture on the pastry circles.
- Make faces on the cheese topping with the cooked petit pois.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden.