The brownies I’d made were about to run out, so obviously that meant I needed to make more snacks. To balance out the unhealthy brownies, I decided to make some chia seed flapjacks and found this chia seed flapjacks recipe which, apart from the Golden Syrup, is made with healthy stuff (healthier than your average delicious-but-butter-laden flapjack, anyway). I realised after I’d made them they’re vegan too. Bonus.
You’ll see in the recipe I linked to above that when it comes to the method, there is no mention of adding the chia seeds. Considering these are chia seed flapjacks, you’d think the chia seeds would be mentioned somewhere, wouldn’t you? Anyway, I’ll list out below the ingredients I used and how I made them.
The mixture was so dry – even after adding extra Golden Syrup – I didn’t think the flapjacks would be all that but they’re beautifully moist and something I’ll definitely make again.
Chia Seed Flapjacks (makes 9)
150g porridge oats
65g brown sugar
100g nut butter
80g Golden Syrup
40g chia seeds
1 tsp sea salt
- Mix together the Golden Syrup and the brown sugar in a bowl.
- Add everything else and mix up thoroughly (add more Golden Syrup if it seems a bit dry).
- Press down into an 8” square tray.
- Bake at 180C for about 10 minutes.
- Score lightly and cut into squares when cool.