You can tell by the photos just how good this was. I made this when I was home alone and therefore didn’t feel obliged to make a ‘proper’ dinner, which had the added bonus of allowing me to experiment on myself with something I wasn’t sure The Meat Eater would like.
Crispy seasoned battered tofu, stuffed into pitta bread with salad and mayo – a gorgeous quick and simple meal.
The original recipe came from The Vedge but I’ll post below how I made it. This makes more batter than you need but you can freeze whatever’s left over.
Tofu Popcorn Chicken (serves 1)
- ¼ block tofu, pressed and cut into cubes
- ⅓ cup chickpea/garbanzo flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil for frying
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Slowly add the water, whisking as you go, until you get a smooth batter.
- Add mustard and mix.
- Combine tofu with the batter.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook the battered tofu until golden brown.