My local farm shop’s great. I asked Andy, the owner, on Facebook if he had any portobello mushrooms in and he said no, but he’d get some for me in the morning. I said great, I’ll be in then.
So, I went down there the next day and he said he couldn’t get any, so I flounced off to Tesco.
Actually, I didn’t flounce off to Tesco; I buy all (well, most) of my veg from the farm shop and so I used some initiative, had a look round the shop, spotted the peppers and thought aha! I will stuff some peppers instead.
I stuffed them with Macsween’s vegetarian haggis and mushrooms and they were flipping delicious.
Macsween’s vegetarian haggis is vegan, so if you want to veganise this, just leave out the cheese.
Red peppers stuffed with vegetarian haggis and mushrooms (serves 2)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 red peppers, deseeded
1 pack Macsween’s microwave vegetarian haggis, chopped (no need to heat first)
100g mushrooms, chopped
65g cheddar, grated
- Cook the peppers in the oven at 190C for about 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, fry the mushrooms and garlic until cooked
- Add the vegetarian haggis and most of the cheese
- Stuff the peppers with the haggis/mushroom/cheese mixture
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese
- Return to the oven for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling