Ok, my last plug for Leith’s Vegetarian Bible for the time being. I’ve used this book a lot in the last week, and this recipe is one I’ve used lots in the past. Good carbo-loading food (not that I run much anymore).
Ingredients (serves 4)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 leek, thinly sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
300g/11oz Quorn mince
1 x 400g/14oz can tomatoes
290ml/1/2 pint vegetable stock
2 tablespoons tomato puree
2 tablespoons mushroom ketchup
freshly grated Parmesan-style cheese
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, pepper, carrots and leek. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until softened.
- Add the Quorn mince to the vegetables and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Increase the heat and allow the Quorn to colour slightly.
- Add the tomatoes (these can be liquidized for a smoother consistency, if liked), stock, tomato puree and mushroom ketchup. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the liquid is well reduced. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the spaghetti and cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes until al dente. Drain thoroughly and rinse the spaghetti under hot running water. Drain well.
- Place the spaghetti in a warmed serving dish and pour over the Quorn bolognese sauce.
- Serve with Parmesan-style cheese sprinkled on toip of the sauce or handed separately.