Because someone – okay, I – forgot to add the spinach to the Quorn curry I cooked last night, I had a bag of spinach in the fridge, going to waste. In my defence though, it was a slow-cooked curry and by the time its eight hours were up, I’d completely forgotten there was another ingredient to go in. Also, the spinach wasn’t going to go to waste as a) I’m going to use it instead of kale in a recipe tomorrow; and b) I made soup out of it at lunchtime today.
My original idea was to make spinach and rice soup, then I changed my mind and thought I’d give spinach and chickpea soup a go and to liven it up a bit, also add some vegetarian Parmesan. It works.
Cheesy Spinach and Chickpea Soup (serves 4)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium potato, diced
500ml vegetable stock
salt and pepper
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the garlic and onion and fry for a few minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the potatoes and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add the spinach and the stock and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and blend.
- Add the cheese and blend again until it’s melted through.
- Add the chickpeas and return to the heat to warm through.