This recipe is another taken from the Jus Rol 30 Best Loved Recipes book. As a lazy cook, this was too time-consuming for me. If you’re also a lazy cook, you’d be better off getting your maid/cook/housekeeper (we all have those, right?) to peel and slice the apples.
I had no idea what dessert apples were and none of the apples in Sainsbury’s were labelled ‘dessert’, so I bought Granny Smiths.
You can tell I don’t eat many apple pies, as it reminded me of McDonald’s apple pies and I haven’t had one of those for at least twenty years.
The original recipe made one big parcel, but I divided the pastry into four to make four smaller ones.
Apple and Chocolate Parcels (makes 4)
5 dessert apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 lemon, juice only
140g caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp vanilla extract
80g dark chocolate chips
1 x 320g Jus Rol All Butter Puff Pastry Sheet, cut into 4 pieces
3 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7.
- Put the apple slices in a large bowl and drizzle with lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon and flour. Add this mixture to the apples and sprinkle on the vanilla extract. Mix well, then add the chocolate chips.
- Place some filling in the middle of each piece of pastry.
- Mix the egg and milk to make an egg wash. Fold one side of the pastry over the filling, then fold over the other side. Press the ends down and wash with egg wash.
- Turn the parcels over and lay seam-side down on a baking sheet. Wash with egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 190C/gas mark 5 and bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown.